Synagogue

Jewish Community

Book about Jews in Hirschberg

The book "Die Juden aus Leutershausen und Gro▀sachsen in der nationalsozialistischen Verfolgung" (The Jews from  Leutershausen and Gro▀sachsen in the Nazi persecution) by Prof. Erhard Schnurr is available in German.

History of the Jewish community in Leutershausen

1553

In a Palatine register "Jakob Jud zu Luttershausen" (Jacob Jew of Leutershausen) and "Abraham und Jakob Jud zu Gro▀sachsenheim" (Abraham and Jacob Jews of Grosssachsen) are mentioned. This is the first written evidence of Jewish life in our community.
1582 Count palatine Friedrich III expels all Jews from his territory.
1694 Only under the local rule of Count Hamilton were Jews allowed to settle again in Leutershausen.
1700 At the beginning of the reign of the Earl of Wiser there are three Jewish households in Leutershausen, named Aron, Mortge and Joseph.
1722 The Jew Levi Mayer owns the property in today's no. 1 Hauptstrasse. Until 1937 ths house remains exclusively owned by Jews. It hosted the first prayer hall, the "Jewish school".
1819 From this time until the introduction of an interconfessional "simultaneous" school in 1876, a dedicated Israelite elementary school existed. It was located in the street "Mittelgasse" from 1858.
1864 A total of 165 Jewish men, women and children are living in Leutershausen. Their houses are all located in the center. They earn their living primarily as traders, and after the emancipation of the Jews in 1809 also as craftsmen.
1900 The emerging industry in the region leads to emigration, so that the number of Jewish inhabitants in Leutershausens decreases to 68.
1933 At the beginning of the Nazi rule in 1933 there are only 43 Jewish people.
1940 In the year of the deportation of Jews from Baden and the Palatinate to Gurs in southern France, no more Jews are living in Leutershausen. 21 Jews from Leutershausen and six from Grosssachsen were murdered by the Nazi regime in the extermination camps.

This terminated nearly 400 years of common history of the Christians and Jews in Leutershausen.

The fate of the Jews murdered in the Holocaust are described in a book.

Jewish History in Leutershausen

The first synagogue (prayer hall) in the no. 1 Hauptstr.

The former school building of the Jewish community

(Corner Mittelgasse and Kreuzgasse)

The former mikvah in the Vordergasse