Synagogue

Jewish Community

History of the Synagogue of Leutershausen

1553 Since this year there has been written evidence of Jewish life in Leutershausen and Grosssachsen.
1781 The Jews of Leutershausen bought the room under the roof of the house at no. 1 Hauptstrasse for 130 guilders and used it as a prayer hall.
1862 The Jewish community acquires two pieces of land at the "Schriesheimer Tor" (Schriesheimer gate)  for 816 and 411 guilders to build their own synagogue.
1868 After setting the cornerstone on May 22th in 1867, the inauguration of the synagogue took place on April 4th, 1868.
1938
After most of the Jewish families had left Leutershausen as a result of the Nazi reprisals, the synagogue was sold to the municipality on April 4th. For this reason the synagogue was safed from the Kristallnacht destruction on November 9th.
1950 The synagogue, which was used as a hospital and prison camp during the Second World War, is owned by the Jewish Restitution Successor Organization.
1952 From 1952 to 1955 the building was owned by the State of Baden-Wuerttemberg. In 1955 it became private property and was subject to different kinds of commercial usage and multiple remodeling of the building.
1985 The municipality Hirschberg purchases the building and attaches a memorial stone at its west side on November 9th, 1988.
1996 The council commissioned the architectural firm Diesbach & Kopp in Weinheim to dismantle and reconstruct the former synagogue in its original shape as far as possible and to restore it for the purpose of cultural use.
2001 The synagogue building is opened to the public as a center for culture and as a meeting place. The ceremony takes place on November 11th in the  presence of descendants of former Jewish citizens of Leutershausen. 
2006 The glass painter John K. Clark from Scotland creates two rose windows for the west and east facade which are set up in April.
2010 The house standing next to the synagogue, formerly inhabited by a family named Bickel, is demolished. The resulting square is redesigned.
2014 The square is named "Meier-Heller-Platz".
2014 Dedication of the Memorial to the Jewish Holocaust victims from Hirschberg